Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters (2013 MOVIE)

Hey, guys. So, I saw PJO: SoM earlier today! It was pretty awesome.

Title: Percy Jackson: The Sea of Monsters
Director: Thor Freudenthal
Release Date: August 7, 2013 (US)
Rating: PG
Duration: 106 min.
Synopsis:
Based on Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters. In order to restore their dying safe haven, the son of Poseidon and his friends embark on a quest to the Sea of Monsters to find the mythical Golden Fleece while trying to stop an ancient evil from rising.
 Why I Watched This:
Because I foolishly thought that this movie would be better and more to the plot line than the last movie and I couldn't help it: I love those books. I had to see what they would do this time.

My Thoughts/Review:
I had never been so excited to see a movie IN MY LIFE. I've never gone to a movie on the day of the premier, and I was begging people to go see it with me! I just could not wait. I was so excited. I thought that maybe, just MAYBE, the director might have seen the light and realized that he did not need to screw with the plot line of the books so damn much. I get it, you have to make a few changes when making a movie from a book to fit it all into the time. BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SCREW WITH THE ENTIRE PLOT LINE OF THE ENTIRE SERIES.

I was sooo disappointed. It was good and had good graphics, but the plot line was too screwed. I hated it. If I hadn't read the books, it would've been awesome. But I did read the books. Several times, in fact. I fell in love with the books. My mom even said that she thought the movie was amazing. I simply told her that she needed to read PJO when she gets done with LotR (I'm practically in charge of what she reads).

The graphics were amazing and all, and I really liked some things that they did. However. It was so lacking in the humor that Rick Riordan had in his books, the banter, the everything. So many things were too....dull. Or too overdone. Or too LEFT OUT. Half the story line of the book was left out of the movie. The half that was left out was replaced by bits and pieces of skewed information from other books. IT SUCKED.

THE PROPHECY WAS CHANGED! WHY OH WHY WAS THE PROPHECY CHANGED?! THE PROPHECY WAS SOMETHING THAT I LOVED IN THAT SERIES AND THEY CHANGED IT! ALSO, THAT PROPHECY WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN YET! So disappointed!!! ARGH!

I hated this movie; I think it was an awesome movie, great actors (Logan Lerman is one of my fave actors, to be honest), but I just didn't enjoy it like I thought I should. It was way too skewed for me to enjoy it. Maybe I'll enjoy it once I've watched it again. Maybe my expectations were too high. I don't know.

If there's one thing this experience has taught me, it's that I will never get so excited about a movie again. I don't wanna be disappointed like this again. Ever.

On the bright side, at least Annabeth's hair was blonde(ish) this time, like it should be. PLUS, Clarisse was really pretty, though she was kind of OOC most of the time. PLUS, I really liked the character of Tyson, though he was also OOC part of the time (but only a little; not a whole lot). PLUS, Logan Lerman as Percy Jackson was still hot. Oh, and we were *coughFINALLYcough* introduced to Dionysus, who is kind of important considering HE'S A GOD AND ALSO THE CAMP DIRECTOR AND HATES PERCY'S GUTS.
OH AND WE GOT TO MEET GEORGE AND MARTHA YAY EVEN THOUGH THEY WEREN'T AS FUNNY AS IN THE BOOK BUT STILL.



Okay, so the barrier was pretty cool, but I still wasn't very pleased over all.

So, as this is really turning out to be a rant about the movie, I'm just gonna go ahead and give the rating.

I give this movie 3.5 stars out of 5.

~Jessicah

No comments:

Post a Comment