Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Writing

Hey, guys. So. I'm in the middle of writing a novel. Any advice, anything you can point out to me would be FANTASTIC. Or even links to advice, or something. I know, I could just Google advice for aspiring authors, but I thought I'd get some input from my followers first (no matter how few they may be), and people who just stop in as a guest may have some advice or something that I'd love to take a look at. Trust me, everything helps, no matter how little.

Ah, so, that's pretty much it for now. Later, guys. Please help?

~Jessicah

1 comment:

  1. The biggest recommendation I can make is to outline your novel ahead of time and make sure the story arc roughly fits into a 3-act structure.

    Despite the incredibly cheesy music in the beginning, I highly recommend checking out these videos where Dan Wells talks about story structure:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcmiqQ9NpPE

    Typically, when I start outlining I do it within the bounds of that structure (which is a modified 3-Act structure). I also take a few cues from the "Hollywood Formula" and "MICE Quotient" as seem appropriate to the story.

    If you have the time, I'd say check out the Writing Excuses podcast. If you get them from the website you can start back at the first episode and work your way to the present.

    http://www.writingexcuses.com/

    ReplyDelete