Sunday, July 28, 2013

Divergent (Divergent #1)

Let's tell a story, shall we?

Once upon a time, in a land not so far away, an avid reader who was obsessed with books and writing came across a title she did not recognize. This girl looked over the series once or twice, read a bunch of reviews, and
figured that it was going to be exactly like the Hunger Games and wasn't sure if she really wanted to read it or not. However, she had nothing better to do, so she sat down with her laptop and began to read it.


That girl (A.K.A me) was so wrong I feel like I should apologize to myself and Veronica Roth for even entertaining the thought at all.

I am sorry, Veronica Roth. I should not have underestimated your levels of pure an unadulterated awesomeness.

Divergent was an amazing and original story, not at all like the Hunger Games. Much, much better than that! Now, I'm not usually one for a dystopian novel, but this....this makes it work. The first line caught my attention... The rest of the book held it. It's that simple

"THERE IS ONE mirror in my house."
I was just like what? What just...? Who only has one mirror in their entire house? I have 3 in my bedroom alone! So, I kept reading.
"It is behind a sliding panel in the hallway upstairs. Our faction allows me to stand in front of it on the second day of every third month, the day my mother cuts my hair."
Um... Okay? I'm sitting over here, lost, trying to figure out if there's a book I missed and trying to figure out the math for the 'second day of every third month' thing.

But, fortunately, I soon see that this was a bloody brilliant way to open a book. It got my attention and held it. I wanted to know where this was going. It was pretty awesome. No book has ever done that to me before (and I've read a lot of books)


**

So, I'm hooked. In this dystopian world, there are 5 factions, and each of them represents a different thing: Selflessness, Peace, Bravery, Truth, and Knowledge. Every year, there's a choosing ceremony for those who are in their 16th year (you know, 16-year-olds). They get to choose which faction they will live in for the rest of their life, and choosing a different faction than the one that they came from certainly meant being cut off from their family. But before the ceremony, they take an aptitude test. A simulation. It shows them which faction they would be most suited for. Most people only get one faction.

People who get more than one are called Divergent. This is not a good thing to be.

Beatrice Prior's choosing year was this year. Her aptitude test... Well, let's just say it wasn't normal. Beatrice is from Abnegation--Selflessness. She's always had trouble with being selfless, though, which makes her decision even harder.

Eventually, she chooses Dauntless (Bravery). Which is awesome and all for all of us readers, but for her, it's like turning her back on almost everything she knows because they're so different.

Which just makes this story all the better.

I won't say more because I'll get things confused and I don't want to do that. It's easier if you just read it yourself and see. You'll know what I'm talking about.


**

Tris was my favorite character. She's so clueless sometimes, but I love that she knows her flaws and that she has certain limits (even if she doesn't respect them all the time). She knows what's up and doesn't take well to being mistreated. She stands up for herself. Seriously, every heroine EVER could take a few notes from her, because she really doesn't let anyone get away with pushing her around. She's pretty awesome all around, if I do say so myself. I really liked being in her head, seeing everything from her point of view.

Four was pretty cool. I really liked Four. And the romance between Tris and Four? I had no clue if it would come or not. Veronica Roth kept me hanging in the balance on whether they were really going to get together or not! It was refreshing, how she did the romance. It was really nice. I loved it.

Everyone else was okay, but Christina did get annoying sometimes...okay, a lot. Al's sniffling and crying was really annoying, too, especially when it's coming from Tris' point of view.

**

I really don't know what else to say about this book because I'm afraid if I say too much the dam will just break and everything that happened will come flooding out of me. Which would suck because I don't wanna spoil it for you. It's really, really good. It's one of the best books I've read in a long, long time.

It's pretty much awesometasticalerificexpealodocious (yes, it's my word. Yes, I made it up).

I just... These books... I can't even... Too awesome (which is weird considering I'm awesome incarnate but whatever)... It's like..


I am so excited for the next book! :D

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars (in case it wasn't obvious).

~Jessicah

No comments:

Post a Comment