Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Iron Queen: The Iron Fey #3


Julie Kagawa surprised me with The Iron Queen. All our old players were back and, honestly, not that well off.

Meghan Chase is with her prince in the beginning, both of them exiled.

Fast forward a little bit, and Meghan gets something important back. She finds her father--the man who raised her, not Oberon--and tried to slowly nurse him back to sanity. While that's going on, Ash teaches Megs a few things.

We soon find out that
Meghan is allergic to her own glamour.

Then, the real twist happens. You know they weren't going to be able to stay out of the Nevernever, especially after Puck was banished! As it happens to be, the Winter and Summer Courts had teamed up against the Iron Court, who was waging war against the two.


While the Seelie and Unseelie Courts are in this shaky alliance, they call on Meghan to come deal with the false king of the Iron Court. Meghan ends up bringing along the two warriors who were sworn enemies, once again banding together because of her. Ash swears more than one oath, drama ensues, Puck is used, and the Courts are close to being crushed under iron.

Meghan goes and deals with the false king, eventually, though there were many, many surprises in that chapter. I could've never guessed about what that crazy girl was going to do in the end. It was amazing. Even with her internal problems, she still managed to save the entire Nevernever. Again. It only sucks at the end, even if I do love the ending.

**

Meghan is back to being her awesome self, for the most part. She's not afraid of doing anything, except apologizing the the two fey that she's hurt most. She faces things that I would've had to run away from. She's brave and never abandons her friends. She braves the Iron Realm once again, with her two warriors by her sides, and brings the corruption to end, but at what cost? In Faery, there's always a cost.

Ash is still amazing, the awesome warrior who is slowly coming out of his shell. I feel really, really bad for him, though. I've come to have this love/hate thing with him, and throughout almost this entire book it's been love. He's still the Unseelie Prince, no matter how much Mab tries to banish him. It's a part of him, and he still acts the part sometimes, though he does warm a little after a lot of Meghan grating on him. He was amazing at the end. I love his True Name, which we finally get to see!

Puck. Oh, geez. I love the Summer Prankster, but I felt bad for him in the entire book. Seriously. But it's his choice, so I guess I have no say in it. Puck is just an amazing character altogether and I just wish he was real because I'm being such a fangirl right now about him. I love him too much!

Grimalkin is back! :) That's awesome, just right there. He's up to his old tricks again.

Oberon is as rude as ever, though he does have his moments.

Mab earned my grudging respect. Even if she's cold and hard as an icicle, she's not a complete unreasonable bitch...unlike Titania, whom I hate with a passion.

Glitch. Glitch is an awesome character, though he worries too much and doesn't know when to stop. I like Glitch.

**

I absolutely loved this book, with all its twists and turns and unexpected endings. The Courts were in trouble. Again. Meghan saved them. Again. But the story was told so differently form the Iron King that it's nearly impossible to make a comparison, so I won't even try.

Julie Kagawa has a way of writing her books that I absolutely love. She has in-depth characters, even the minor ones; a plot that knows where it's going; unexpected elements; amazing twists; hot guys; and such amazing story lines and details of everything! I would gladly pick up just any of her books of the shelf and start reading.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

~Jessicah

No comments:

Post a Comment