Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Goddess Test (The Goddess Test #1)

Aimée Carter did a wonderful job with The Goddess Test. It was not exactly what I expected, but it exceeded my expectations, which is good. I really, really liked this book.

I love Greek mythology--really, I love mythology of any kind, Greek mythology I just happen to like more than the rest--so I might be a little biased, but it was still an amazing book.

Katherine Winters was a normal girl with a mom who was sick from cancer who just wanted to go to her hometown once more--until she wasn't. Kate's life soon gets tossed into confusion as she goes to her new school and finds that not all the inhabitants of the small town of Eden are as friendly as they seem.

Ava, the most popular girl in school, pulls a prank on Kate with some disastrous consequences. Kate will do anything to save her life, and when a stranger comes along and offers to do just that, she takes his offer, even if she doesn't know what the consequences will be. He soon comes to collect.

However, when she discovers that this is no ordinary thing, she also discovers that her best friend is not what she originally thought--and neither is she.

**

Kate Winters was an amazing character, though she did seem a bit Mary Sue-ish at times, though they were few and far between. I could see her growing throughout the book, and that's always a plus when characters grow. I really liked Kate and I felt that I could relate to her for almost everything. My mom had cancer too, so I really got that. It's scary, and everything she did was very....human. No matter what other people say, she has a lot of flaws, which is a good thing. She's loyal to a fault, like many other heroines, but that's okay. It's not a bad thing. At least, not to me. I could really relate to her relationship with Henry, though, and I was really hoping she would come out of her shell a little more to make him come out a little more, but I still loved it even if it didn't happen as much as I wanted it to. I just wish she didn't pile everything on herself; all the blame and guilt for things that weren't her fault. :/

Henry was hard to read--I mean, like, his personality, not the places in the book when he was there. But I'm pretty sure that was on purpose. It was fun to see how he developed, even if we didn't get to see a whole lot of him at first. I didn't fall in love with him, but I do love him. I'll always have that soft spot in my heart for tortured souls. He was quite nice most of the time and I liked the scenes when he was finally showing emotion! I loved those scenes to death. It was really, really nice, and Henry was a really nice character.

Ava was an awesome character. I loved her with all her flaws and everything--and I'm really glad that she had them because beautiful people are normally portrayed as flawless, which is so not true. So I really loved the way Ava was written! :) She really felt...real. Like, I could go up and hold a conversation with her and everything (even if it would be torture if she tried to talk about make-up or clothes!). That was a definite plus for me in this book.

Kate's mom was awesome. That's all I can say about her.

Ella was fun to read about. Er, maybe funny is the right word. Her and Ava in the same room together... *snicker*

Everyone else you'll just have to read about for yourself, and trust me, you will want to read.

**

I figured out like halfway into the book who the culprit was, but I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't have caught what gave it away for me. So, have fun guessing! :)

I really, really liked this book, all the twists and turns of the journey, and I will definitely be following the series, probably very closely.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

~Jessicah

By the way, everyone, I have a Twitter (@JHopeReviews), a Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/JHopeReviews), and a tumblr (http://jessicahhope.tumblr.com/). Go check 'em out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment