Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Iron Daughter: The Iron Fey #2


This book was not what I was expecting.

It was an amazing continuation of the story, but the beginning of the book almost ruined it for me. Almost.

Meghan was being whiny, annoying, emotional, and completely and totally frustrating. Ash was being the closed off Unseelie Prince once again. Puck was nowhere to be found. Mab was a bitch. Rowan was a bastard. Sage was....oddly civil. The rest of the court was infuriating.

SPOILER
Meghan was seriously making me freaking angry at the beginning. I would've slapped Prince Ash in front of everyone whenever he said that! But NOOOOO, Meghan goes and runs off, crying! Seriously! I nearly threw my laptop across the room out of frustration! It was so messed up! I don't care what he thinks he was doing, it was stupid for him to say something that insensitive! Idiot! *rageragerage* I know WHY he was doing it, but still! I would've freaking killed him! But Meghan seemed to forget why he was being such and asshole so I was even more enraged! She was being a stupid little girl at that point, letting her emotions and whininess get the best of her! I thought she was supposed to be smarter than that! *rage*

From then on, I didn't think I would like the book, but I was already into it, so I figured that I may as well finish up. However, it came as a pleasant surprise to me when I found myself unable to stop flipping through pages, eager for the next little piece of action or drama or whatever.

Something important was stolen, and so the courts set out to make war with each other, which was, of course, all planned out. Meghan and Ash sneak off to try to steal the stolen item back and stop the war. It isn't as simple as that, they soon find out.

A little later in the book, we found out that there was a traitor among the fey, working for the iron fey! *GASP* Complete with the misguided henchman and all.

And then Puck came back and the world had sunshine and rainbows again. His entrance was awesome, as per usual.

That's when the drama really started. The love triangle. I admit, it was awesome. But I did feel bad for one guy, there in the end, after everything.

Ash decided to try to go do something extremely stupid and dangerous all by himself and Meghan didn't stop him, so that didn't go well with me.

Meghan's powers... Now there's a topic for discussion. I think that was the real pushing factor in this book. Her powers, her lack of control, and her having so much power.

**

Meghan was still really brave in this book, and extremely loyal. However, I didn't like how she played around with a certain someone. I also didn't like how she acted at the beginning--completely annoying. Despite that, though, she grew into a wonderful character who finally began to cut the crap and stand up for herself, as well as finally take the roll as a leader.

Ash was more stupid than I have ever seen him be before. He was awesome at times, but still very stupid. I love Ash, and I loved him all the more at the end of the book, but some of his decision were decidedly insufferable and I don't know how Meghan could've forgiven him for a lot of things. I get it. I really do. He's had a hard life. That doesn't give him any excuse, though.

Puck was awesome and full of life as always. He was pining even more for Meghan's attention, but not way too much. He will always be the hero to me and I give him a complete seal of approval. I like Ash, but I love Puck, and I always will. He's always there, cracking his jokes and trying to be upbeat about everything.

Grim is back and better than ever. It's always nice to see the talking cat doing so well.

Ironhorse is back! And there's a little twist to that, too, but you'll have to read to find out.

Leanansidhe was a new character. She was extremely annoying, but I found that she was beginning to grow on me.

Rowan was completely infuriating.

Mab was a cold-hearted bitch who I eventually came to understand, but I still didn't like her.

**

Overall, this novel was well-written and the plot played out pretty well. I really like the twists and turns. I never expected many of the twists, which is pretty awesome because I've gotten to where I typically know how a plot will play out. It was a very pleasant surprise that I was completely in the dark most of the time about what would happen next.

I absolutely adored the ending and I adore Ash all the more because of it.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

~Jessicah

No comments:

Post a Comment